Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Saga Continues...

I talked to Damien today about Betty. Mind you, it was on the bus so we were basically talking in code. But he asked if I still wanted to give him that speech and I told him no. It's as much Betty's fault as his. And if there are "reprocutions" (aka if she's preggers), he'd be getting a speech and much more from me. Betty came over after school. Well, around 7:30, she got here. And she took a test. And it had a bold line to show it was working... and a faint one that meant... she's pregnant. She's 15! I don't know what she's gonna do but, for one, she's gonna get a dr. to tell her if it's right or not. Then she's got three choices: keep it, abort it, or give it up for adoption. And I have no clue how to advise her. All I know is that my mom was 15 when she had my older brother. She had to give him up 6 months later when she couldn't keep up with school and take care of him. Then 1 1/2 after she gave him up, along I came. I just want what is best for Betty in the long run. What that is, God only knows. (And she doesn't know this last part but, I've known or at least highly suspected she was for a while. Ever since she said that her stomach was hard. Which, I believe, is how Bernadette found out about Pey.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's how I found out..my abdomen got really tight.  Aye, I wish I had a bucket full of answers for Betty.  
Okay, well here's my advice....  

First things first, I wouldn't tell Damien until she's talked to her family and a doctor.  She's probably going to have to tell her folks before she goes to the Doc, they're going to freak out in their own way.  They always do.  

She really needs to know if she's going to have support in her choice, whichever one she makes.  Pregnancy in itself is tough on your body and mind.  

She needs to know...
~If her parents support her keeping the pregnancy.  Does their insurance cover this or will she need to get assistance.  What are her plans for finishing school and can her parents help in finding daycare.  She'll probably be delivering at the end of school, beginning of summer so she'll have a few months to recover from birthing to prepare for school.  That's a good thing.  By then the baby will probably be sleeping thru the night.  

once she knows this she should talk to Damien
~Is he going to support his child, and how.  He's young so financial responsibility should also be supported by his family, can they help provide clothes, formula, diapers and doctors costs.  What role is he going to play for now during her pregnancy and the birth of the baby.  

Pregnancy is tough on your mind, your emotions all seem new and the intensity of things is heightened.  You're right in not placing blame solely on Damien, it does take 2.  But now is not the time for blame, it's time for responsibility.  Whether she has the baby, chooses adoption or decides to terminate this moment, this choice, is going to change her.

I hope all goes well for her in whatever choice she makes.
xoxo~Bernie